In this blog post, we discuss the many benefits you may receive when you elect to go to rehab abroad.
Choosing to go to rehab is probably a decision that will scare you, even if you choose to go to rehab in the United Kingdom.
The very idea of jumping on a plane in order to travel to a rehab clinic is probably even more rattling. However, once you have completed reading this article, we guarantee you will at least consider seeking rehab treatment abroad.
Going abroad in order to receive rehab treatment is often termed ‘medical tourism’. It’s not unknown for Brits to travel abroad in order to receive cosmetic surgery or even life-saving cancer treatment. In the last decade, we’ve even witnessed the rise of an ever-increasing number of Brits traveling overseas in order to receive drug and alcohol rehab treatment.
Below, we list some of the more popular destinations for these purposes:
- Drug and alcohol rehab in Italy
- Drug and alcohol rehab in South Africa
- Drug and alcohol rehab in Thailand
- Drug and alcohol rehab in Ibiza
- Drug and alcohol rehab in Barbados and Mauritius
What are the benefits of attending a rehab clinic abroad?
Now, we list a number of benefits you will attain when you elect to undergo drug or alcohol rehab treatment abroad:
- Many rehabs abroad are located in sunny or even exotic locations. This is known to generate many positive psychological benefits
- Going to rehab abroad is generally cheaper than attending a rehab clinic here in the United Kingdom
- You will gain access to many alternative and cutting-edge treatments that are simply not available at rehab clinics in the United Kingdom
- When you go to a rehab abroad, you may say to friends and colleagues that you simply went on holiday
- You can effectively combine rehab and a holiday in one
Reasons why people might put off going to rehab abroad
There are many reasons why you might be put off from going to rehab abroad. Below, we aim to examine these reasons why you might put off going to rehab abroad. We then aim to dispel these objections one-by-one.
Below, we now list potential objections you may hold about going to rehab abroad:
- You are concerned rehabs abroad aren’t subject to strict care standards that are enforced here in the United Kingdom
- Going outside of the UK may mean you must apply for a VISA
- You equate going abroad with drinking alcohol or taking drugs, and it’s these very activities you now wish to avoid
- You may not take too kindly to the food on offer
- You cannot tolerate being too far away from your loved ones
- Going to rehab abroad will simply be too costly
Now it’s time to dispel many of these objections
Whilst many of these objections may have some bearing in reality, many others simply are not true, or their importance is greatly exaggerated.
Below, we list a number of points that will help you to overcome the above objections regarding going to rehab abroad:
- Reality check #1: Many rehab clinics abroad offer additional therapies and more cutting-edge treatments compared to what’s available in the UK
- Reality check #2: Many rehab clinics abroad offer a better standard of care compared to what’s available in the UK
- Reality check #3: Many rehabs abroad are owned by UK companies, meaning you will receive a similar standard of care to that offered in the UK
- Reality check #4: It’s often cheaper to attend rehab clinics abroad
Now you have read this article, we hope you are able to make a more informed decision about going to rehab abroad. Going to rehab abroad is a fantastic and even a life-changing experience, and we would encourage anyone considering going to rehab to at least consider attending a clinic that’s located outside the United Kingdom.
Fortunately, Rehab 4 Addiction has handpicked a number of rehab clinics located both within and outside of Europe. This includes rehab clinics in Italy, Ibiza, South Africa, Thailand and Barbados and Mauritius.